All the Hype

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week One: Daily Devotional Plan for 2011

“I thirst for God, the living God.  When can I go and stand before Him?” Psalm 42:2
Hey y’all!  I hope everyone had a great, relaxing break and is ready to start fresh this year.  If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably already made new year’s resolutions for a number of things; getting in shape, making good grades, not wasting time on dumb boys, etc.  I love that the New Year gives us the chance to slow down think about what we want to focus our time on in the next year.  So often, we rush through life wanting to change, but are too busy to make plans.  Life ends up being a whirlwind of busyness without moving toward the better future that we all hope and dream of living.
So as I’ve prayed this break about what I should talk to y’all about first, I decided to expand on what my major resolution is: to be consistent in my daily one-on-one time with God.  This break I’ve really been learning how important it is to have a strategic plan to grow closer to God and become more Christ-like.  I know that sometimes Christians are hesitant to talk like this because it seems so ungodly to speak of God like an item on a to-do list.  Yet, by not adding God time as a must do item it ends up being a rarely do item.  God wants us to actively and passionately pursue Him, which means being strategic about our time together.  He wants us to desire to know him more and more… while becoming more like him each day.
After I wrote about this topic, I ended up having to split it up in to 3 weeks worth of stuff so it wouldn’t be one super long week.  I don’t mean for this to be a boring lesson on prayer and reading the Bible, I just want to give y’all a few tools that will help you have a full quiet time! So I’ll just start off with the first tip: Making time for God.  
Decide on the amount of time you will give God daily. Whether it is 10 min or 2 hours, honor the time commitment you make.  Treat it as an appointment with someone of great importance.  I know this sounds kind of silly because there is obviously no one of greater importance than God, but I think sometimes we take advantage of God’s grace and love by skipping the time we’ve set aside for him because we think “Oh it’s okay, God will always be there so I’ll just pray later.”  Think about this though, if you had an appointment to speak with the president of the United States would you even think to call him up and say “Oh hey man, sorry but I’m gonna have to reschedule, I forgot that Jersey Shore was on tonight and I really wanna watch it” or “I decided to sleep in an extra two hours so would you mind waiting around for a bit until I’m ready to talk”? No way! So I encourage y’all to take time at the beginning of each week and actually write down specific times you plan on spending with the Lord each day.
Be prepared though, there are going to be days when you reeaallllly don’t feel like waking up early or taking time away from something else to spend it with Him.  Or maybe you are doing your quiet time, but it doesn’t feel productive at all.  This is totally normal!  Don’t be discouraged.  Most often, the times we don’t feel like it are the times when we need God most – and feel refreshed or more at peace afterwards.  And if (or should I say when) you do skip a day, just simply start fresh the next day.  You don’t have to be perfect at it, just don’t give up.
The amazing part about spending time with God is that he slowly changes us to be more like Him in the process.  It’s not magic, it probably won’t happen overnight, but you’ll soon begin to notice a change in yourself.  This might be in how you react (or don’t react) to stressful situations, how you talk to people, your compassion for others, decreased anger or frustration, or just a general greater sense of peace and patience.
Finally, I just hope y’all know how excited I am for this next year to be able to lead and encourage y’all as your chaplain!  Please feel free to ask any questions about what I write each week.  If there’s anything you don’t understand or don’t agree with, let me know; I’d be more than happy to talk to you about it.  Have great week!
“But from there you will search again for the Lord your God.  And if you search for him with all your heart and soul, you will find him.”  Deuteronomy 4: 29
 “I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken.” Psalm 62:1-2
 Currently Listening to: Divine Romance by Phil Wickham (I just LOVE music so I decided to include a song each week that I’m currently obsessed with :) Enjoy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment