All the Hype

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week Thirteen: Our faithful God

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6

I know we’ve all heard this verse a lot, but I think it’s important to realize what trusting in the Lord really means. It’s easy to trust Him when things are going right, when we’re in a good mood, or when we’re on track with the plan we’ve made for our lives. But what about when circumstances around us don’t make sense? What about when God has promised us something, but we don’t see how on earth He can make it happen? One of my friends who is going to Senegal this summer was talking to me about how this verse applies directly to her life right now. She has 3 weeks left to raise $2,220 for her mission or else she can’t go. Now I know a lot of us would be a little worried at this point as to what to do, but she has such faith and trust in the Lord that she isn’t at all bothered by this number. She has said that God has confirmed in many ways that she is supposed to be going this summer so she has chosen to trust completely in the promise He made her and not be worried about how He’s going to provide. In a message she wrote she said “Sometimes we have to remind ourselves of the promises God has made to us. Don't focus on the situation that you are currently in but know what ever God has promised you He will fulfill it. He is not going to lead you on to think He is going to do something, then not provide. That is not His nature, that's the devil.”

Her strong faith is such an inspiration to me! I’ll be honest, there are lots of times when it is so hard for me to have blind faith about things. I can be a very practical person, so when I can’t plan for things, I like to reflect on what’s already happened to see what I can learn from that. So this got me thinking, what other promises has God already fulfilled in my life that I can reflect on when I’m feeling anxious or worried about a current situation?

1. He has promised to supply for every need we have. “And the same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19) Keep in mind these are needs, not wants or luxuries. Sometimes, if he’s not providing it means you don’t really need it. It also includes financial needs, too!

2. God has promised that His children will not be overtaken with temptation. “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” (1 Corinthians 10:13) I also love the beginning of this verse because I think it shows how important it is to be in a community of believers who you can confide in and lean on when you feel really tempted by something.

3. Our God promises to never leave us. “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.’ So we can say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?’” (Hebrew 13:5-6) Doesn’t this verse just give you so much strength and courage and trust, despite any situation you are in? Love it!

4. God has promised for all things to work together for good to those who love and serve him faithfully. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28) I know this may be difficult for us to see and understand at times, but God has promised it so He WILL deliver.

5. God has promised us victory over death by eternal life through Him! “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10:28) What an awesome, life-changing promise that the Lord has made and kept!

Why can we trust in God? Because He has already kept so many promises that He has made to us. Even if you don’t understand what is going on in your life right now, you can find comfort and joy in looking at all that He has done for you already. I am so thankful to serve such a good and faithful God!
Currently Listening to: Forever Reign by Hillsong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au3EGgISYMc

No comments:

Post a Comment