All the Hype

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Goodbye Guatemala, Hello Honduras!

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you

So today I had to say goodbye to all my friends in Guatemala.  Although I was supposed to stay there until August 6th, I had to leave today for safety reasons.  Their elections are coming up in November so political violence has increased these past weeks.  I am going to miss everybody so much!  Here are some final pictures with all my Guatemalen family :)

Mario, Me, Carlos, Kaitlyn, Guillermo, and Olivia
Out last day of VBS in Jocotenango, the CTC we worked at most of the trip.

All the girls!  We LOVE our translator Betzy!  We were so blessed to have her help us out these past 3 weeks.  She became such a good friend to us!



Kaitlyn and I with one of our drivers, Eric.  He was so sweet!  Everytime we got out of the car and said thanks he would say "OK." or "You.. are.. welcome!".  And he would great us with a "what's up ladies!". 

Krista and I in front of a YUMMY icecream shop named after me :)  I loved being her roommate for the past few weeks!

Celeste, me, Suzy, and Maggie on my last day.  I loved living with them!  We always had fun trying to communicate in our broken Spanish/English.  They are SUCH sweet and funny girls and I loved getting to hang out with them at night!

Today is pretty bittersweet for me.  I'll miss everyone in Guatemala, but I am so excited to be here in Honduras! I'll be with Mary Elizabeth, Sarah, Caitlin, Kimberly for the next week here in Tegucigalpa.  They have been here all summer teaching English classes and working at the orphanages.  Then Mary Elizabeth and I will be on our own here for one week until we go to San Pedro Sula with the second group of interns in July.

The sudden change of plans really put things in perspective for me.  I think we all often make our schedules and count on having that exact amount of time to do what we plan to do.  We find comfort in knowing exactly what comes next.  But, if this summer has taught me one thing so far, it's that many times God has something totally different planned for me than I expected.  I'm not saying it's bad to make plans, but we just can't get so hooked on those specifc plans that we're resistant when God decides to change them. I also realized how much I take time itself for granted.  It's easy to put things off or not give it your all when you think you have unlimited time.  But I realize now how important it is to focus my heart on Christ each morning so I can follow Him and not miss out on his plan for me that day.  Just because I don't think something is important or don't see how I can be useful, doesn't mean I get to waste that time. There's a reason that He gives us each another day, and I'm determined now to seek after Him constantly so that I don't waste it! 

 I'm excited to start serving with this new team of awesome girls, and I thank God for the time he gave me with all the wonderful people in Guatemala!

Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you

1 comment: