All the Hype

Monday, March 7, 2011

Week Eight: Persecution

“Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.” 2 Timothy 4: 12

Hey y’all! I hope everyone’s weekend at see-saw went well! So I guess I’ll just jump right in to what this devotional is about: persecution for sharing our faith. I know the word “persecution” sounds pretty intense, but it really just means the mistreatment of a people or group by another group. So to me this includes things like hearing people talk bad about you behind your back or having friends purposefully not include you in hanging out. Just keep that in mind when you read the rest of this that persecution is definitely not always something super extreme.

Honestly, what I wrote about last week is scripture that I have heard pretty frequently in sermons, church camps, etc. I’ve always had people pushing me to go and share God’s good news with others. I get why we‘re supposed to do that. I hear that message and am all pumped up to go tell everyone I know about God’s love. But then I walk out of the church doors, or leave the church camp, or even leave my apartment and that burning inside of me to go and tell people somehow fades away. I can’t seem to make the connection between wanting to tell people and actually telling them. And you know why? Because I’m scared. I’m scared that my close friends won’t like me anymore, I’m scared that people will think I’m too “extreme” of a Christian, I’m scared that people will think I’m weird because they don’t get why I do some of the things I do, I’m scared of being persecuted for my faith.

I’m sure a lot of y’all have the same or similar fears about being bold about your faith. Well what I’ve learned this week is that all of my fears are totally valid. In fact, many of them will not only come true but, when they do, I’m supposed to rejoice in them. 1 Peter 4: 12- 14 says, “ Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad - for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering… So be happy when you are insulted for being a Christian, for then the glorious Spirit of God rests upon you.” So when I read this verse I get two main things out of it. First, that I’m supposed to actually expect persecution and second, that enduring it makes me more like Christ. Are you starting to feel a little better about sharing your faith despite possible rejection? Because this definitely encourages me knowing that I’m not sacrificing for nothing, but I’m sacrificing to get closer to Jesus Christ. Now I think that’s something worth celebrating!

So why does suffering bring us closer to God? Because He suffered immensely while here on earth. “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as it’s own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” John 15: 18-19. Y’all, Jesus has been through it all. He suffered rejection from his community and even his close friends, he went completely against the norms of his society, and in the end He paid the ultimate price of death. If my King and Savior had to go through all of that while on earth, how can I expect not to experience some hardships for sharing my faith? And the incredibly awesome thing about Jesus is that he really does know what we’re going through. One of my favorite verses is Psalm 69:20 “Their insults have broken my heart, and I am in despair. If only one person would show some pity; if only one would turn and comfort me.” Ok, this might sound depressing when you first read it, but I think it highlights how personal our relationship with God is! We don’t have to hide our struggles or our true feelings from Him. When we are persecuted we have the freedom to tell Him exactly what we’re going through and really lean on Him for comfort.

This week I pray that we face our fears of persecution, discomfort, and rejection for sharing our faith, that we are so focused on Christ that all other opinions fade away, and that if we are going through a hard time because of our faith, we can take comfort in knowing that Jesus has been in the exact same situation so He can truly relate to what we’re going through. You will never be alone in your struggles. Jesus went through it before and will go through it again with you. What an awesome God!

Currently Listening To: Lowest Place by Laura Hackett

No comments:

Post a Comment