All the Hype

Monday, March 7, 2011

Week Seven: Living Boldly

Hello! If you couldn’t tell by my previous devotionals, last month I’ve really been learning a lot about God’s overwhelming love for us. It’s changed how I think, act, feel… really everything about who I am. So if this good news is so life-changing, I keep asking myself why it’s so hard for me to actually tell other people about it! When it comes to being bold in my home town, with my family, to people in my classes, my best friends, or people I see on a daily basis, I seem to get shy, uncomfortable, and worry about what they might think of me. This has never made since to me because the people I usually have the hardest time talking to are the people that mean the most to me. So as God has started to challenge me to live more boldly for him, I’ve come across some scripture that has given me motivation, instruction, and eased some of my worries. This isn’t going to be a very wordy devotional on my part because I didn’t want to get too in the way of what the scripture already says.

Why tell people?“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” Matthew 28: 19
We have been sent, simple as that. And not only to just tell others about Christ, but to make devoted followers of Him.

“How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.” Romans 10:14-15
I think it’s so easy sometimes to look at other people’s lives, shake our heads, and think “How can they go on living that kind of life that’s so far away from God?” But sometimes, people have just never truly heard about the grace and love that Jesus has for them. And they might not ever know if we, as Christians, don’t step off our high horse, get to know them, and tell them about the gospel.

“For the time has come for judgment, and it must begin with God’s household. And if judgment begins with us, what terrible fate awaits those who have never obeyed God’s Good News? And also, ‘If the righteous are barely saved, what will happen to godless sinners?’” 1 Peter 4:17-18

How do we tell people??
“What is important is faith expressing itself in love.” Galatians 5:6
It’s true, the best way to share your faith with someone is to love them! Let people see how you love them because Christ does, and you love Christ so you care about what He loves.

“So you can see we were not preaching with any deceit or impure motives or trickery.” 1 Thessalonians 2:3
Be honest!! Don’t feel like you have to make up an elaborate testimony to prove that Jesus has ‘changed’ you. If someone you’re witnessing to asks a question that you don’t know the answer to, just tell them you’ll look it up and get back to them. The goal isn’t to ‘trick’ someone into becoming a Christian by putting on a perfect front.

“As apostles of Christ we certainly had a right to make some demands of you, but instead we were like children among you… we loved you so much… night and day we worked to earn a living so that we would not be a burden to any of you as we preached God’s Good News to you.” 1 Thessalonians 2:7-9
Be humble!! Don’t assume that people think it’s such a privilege to have you talk to them about Christ. Yes, you’re sharing with them awesome news, but don’t insist that they go out of their way to accommodate you. In fact, you should be setting a Christ-like example by serving them the whole time.

“I came to you in weakness-timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.” 1 Corinthians 2:3-4
These verses really hit home for me because I have never once been confident in what I’m going to say when I tell someone about Christ. I’m always nervous and never strong. This just reminds me that it’s fine if I don’t have an elaborate speech prepared, or if I’m not totally confident, as long as I’m letting the Holy Spirit do the work. Trust me, if you’re willing to go and speak, God will give you the right words to say at the right time (even if they do still come out a bit awkward).

“I am not writing these things to shame you, but to warn you as my beloved children.” 1 Corinthians 4:14
No one likes to be told all the reasons why what they’re doing is wrong. Lecturing someone or just trying to guilt them into becoming a Christian will never really work. But sometimes you really do have to show someone tough love (and this totally applies to you talking to other Christians, too). You can be serious and urgent when sharing the gospel, but even that still stems from love, not judgment.

I know this was lengthy so I saved the rest of it for next week. It’s about overcoming obstacles and persecution when sharing the gospel sooo get excited about THAT. Have a great week!

Currently Listening To: Boasting by Lecrae
(And no, it’s not by holding up judgmental signs in the free speech area…don’t even get me started on that)

No comments:

Post a Comment